Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Monday, May 16, 2011

"I can't use cloth, my caregiver won't be able to use them"

One of the main reasons some families don't do cloth is that they think once mom and dad are back to work, the baby's daytime caregiver won't be able to use them. Fortunately, we haven't found that to be a problem. 

My husband and I both work full-time so my mother-in-law watches our son during the day. We did sposies for the first few weeks while she was learning the ropes, but then showed her how to CD. We started out with Thirsties duo diapers, which with their hook and loop (aka Velcro) closures are just as easy as disposables. From there we've expanded to bumGenius elementals with snap closure and bumGenius 4.0 with hook and loop. She prefers the h&l but can do snaps too. 

Ironically, she had a harder time with disposables!  She wasn't getting them high or tight enough. With the snaps or Velcro she can more easily see where to go.  I've even made guidance lines with marker so she knows how tight to make them. 

After I went back to work, after 12 weeks, my hubby took 10 weeks of paternity leave to stay home with our son too. He used CDs too, with no problem. 

I don't use prefolds, and only use my Flips hybrids at home, as I think those might be too complicated for someone else.  Once we started solid foods and the accompanying solid poos came along, we started using flushable disposable liners inside the diapers. Cleanup is a breeze, we just flush the liner with the BM inside. Can't get much easier than that, and it ensures solid waste goes in the toilet where it should rather than in the landfill where it shouldn't. 

We've had great luck with our caregiver using the Thirsties and bumGenius diapers, and I love that we're saving some green while being green.


Ellen works full time as a goverment lawyer, her husband also works full time.  They live in Las Colinas with their adorable son.  They are first time parents and loving every crazy minute of it! 

2 comments:

  1. Which disposable liners do you use? I was thinking of adding those to my CD regiment. Doesn anyone out there use those with their CDs that go to daycare?

    Thx,

    Amanda

    Check out the crunchy-chic blog!
    http://3fabulousmommies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Imse Vimse ones, but won't buy them again. I will go with Bummis or something much softer. Don't use them all the time, and it's a very recent thing that we've started. They are great for out of te house, though!

    ReplyDelete