Changing Diapers: the Hip Mom's Guide to Modern Cloth Diapering

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flats Challenge: DAY 3

I am participating in the 2nd Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge, hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  I have pledged to use flats, and handwash them, for 7 days.  The Challenge was an idea that came about after numerous articles referenced the practice of reusing disposable diapers.  Families with no money for new diapers were scraping out the solid contents or using a hair dryer to dry the diapers for reuse.  Not only is this unsanitary but it is also extremely dangerous. {read the original article} It was the personal mission of Kim of DDL to educate others that, although not ideal, hand washing the inexpensive flat cloth diapers was an option to families who had no other way to diaper.  No baby should have to suffer when there are ways to diaper for less than $50.00.




DAY 3


My kids woke me up before 7:00 am today.  I knew I needed to wash diapers first thing so he will have some to wear later. Just fyi... 7:00 am is WAY too early to be handwashing diapers.  Or to do anything productive, for that matter.  

So no pics today.  It's too early and I'm too tired.  Plus, E doesn't like posing for me in his diapers anymore!


What is my favorite way to use flats so far?  I love either the Diaper Bag Fold or just a simple Pad Fold.  Or the best of both worlds:  A Diaper Bag fold with a Pad Folded flat as a doubler.  Score!

I am not a fan of using a Snappi or Boingo's with flats.  E is a big kid (a 35 lb 2.5 y/o who wears 3T clothes), so there isn't a lot of material on his hips.  The "claws" dig into his skin and leave marks, so I just don't use them with flats (I love them with fitteds!).  For some strange reason I like using pins with flats.  I can't stand pins with fitteds, or even the very very rare occasion I use prefolds. I find it strange (and unexplainable) that I like flats, but not prefolds.

I'm a conundrum, I know.

I'm hoping to blog the rest of the week, but since we are leaving town on Friday I'm not sure how much I'll be able to.  Vacations with young kids aren't exactly vacations!  They just take more planning, more work, and while fun... the kids are out of routine and get cranky.  But, I'm looking forward to spending time with family this Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment